The Fan is compatible with Vilros Fan cases and features an additional Wire to be able to program the fan to turn on/off at certain temps.
Connect the Fan to the board by connecting the 2-pin header with red cable to Pin 4 (5v) and The Black Cable to Pin 6 (GND)
Once you have connected your fan, the fan will run whenever your Raspberry Pi has power.
If you would like to configure the fan to turn on/off via the RP OS setting then connect the Blue Cable to Pin 8 (GPIO 14).
You can choose to configure it to turn on only when your Raspberry Pi reaches a temperature that you choose by following the steps below:
- Update to the latest RP OS (see instructions here)
- Once updated open the Raspberry Pi Configuration tool by Clicking on the Raspberry Pi icon in the top left corner and select Preferences then Raspberry Pi Configuration.
- Select the Performance tab.
- Next to Fan, click Enabled.
- If you have connected your fan as described above, the default of 14 for Fan GPIO does not need to be changed.
- Select the Fan Temperature at which you want your fan to turn on. The default is 80°C, which will stop the Raspberry Pi throttling on difficult tasks without having the fan on all the time.
See more info from the foundation in regards to fan setup here.
Hard to find quality, pricing, options and packaging like this, with free shipping no less. That was the decision maker for me. Items were build like a tank.